Men drop regular season finale in overtime to W&J

Dallas Fonner

Written by Sports Information Student Assistant, Jake Sipes-Salter

HANOVER, Ind. – The Hanover men's lacrosse team suffered a 10-9 overtime loss to the President of Washington & Jefferson (Pa.) Saturday to close out regular season play.

With 50 seconds left to play in regulation, sophomore Dallas Fonner (Evansville, Ind.) scored a go-ahead goal with the assist from junior Joseph DeLeo (Waterford, Mich.) to take a 9-8 advantage. However, less than 30 seconds later, W&J tied it at 9-9, forcing the extra period.

Less than 20 seconds into the extra frame, Washington & Jefferson (7-10, 6-4 ORLC) scored on their first shot, effectively dousing Hanover's hopes.

For the day, sophomores Patrick Boylston (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Noah King (Lexington, Ky.) led the Blue and Red offense. Boylston scored a goal and added three assists, while King hit the back of the net thrice. DeLeo, along with classmate Al Alessia (Crown Point, Ind.) and freshman Ian Kimmins (Dayton, Ohio) each notched a score and added a dime to finish with 2 total points each.

Defensively, sophomore Andrew Trachtman (Carmel, Ind.) paced the Panthers with three caused turnovers, while junior Sam Green (Beaumaris, Australia) corralled six groundballs to top the squad. Sophomore goalkeeper Noah Dubrava (Centerville, Ohio) made nine stops in the contest.

HC opened scoring with a goal from King at the 7:48 mark in the first quarter. After allowing two unanswered goals by W&J, Hanover scored two straight in the final two minutes of the opening frame with efforts from Boylston and DeLeo to lead 3-2.

In the second period, the Blue and Red once again scored the opening and closing goals of the quarter. Freshman Eric Hopkins (Evansville, Ind.) and Kimmins scored their lone goals of the afternoon to take a 5-2 advantage with just under seven minutes on the clock. The Presidents scored two consecutive goals before King recorded his second score of the day with three seconds to go in the half. With his late score, the Panthers took a 6-4 lead into halftime.

The third quarter was a series of four traded goals, beginning with a Wash. & Jeff. score at the 12:58 mark of the period. Alessia notched his lone goal with 9:55 left to play, before the Presidents canceled it out just a minute later. After nearly nine scoreless minutes, King made it two consecutive frame-closing goals, as he hit the back of the net just one second before time expired to take a 8-6 advantage.

In the fourth quarter, HC allowed two unanswered goals and saw W&J tie it up at eight apiece with 6:54 left to play.

On the day, Hanover outshot the Presidents 41 to 32 and won the turnover battle by a margin of 21 to 19. However, in face-offs the Blue and Red went just 7-for-22 from the "X" and committed three violations while Wash. & Jeff. had zero.

With the defeat, the Panthers will be seeded third in the conference tournament and will face the No. 2 seed Transylvania (Ky.) on Wednesday, May 2, with the time to be determined. The winner of this game will go on to face the winner of the Grove City (Pa.) and St. Vincent (Pa.) matchup in the finals on Saturday, May 5.

CONTACT: Tyler Jester